Tips & tricks
Some miscellaneous information that can be useful:
- Invoke the Speed Dial tab through a bookmark: The Speed Dial tab can be bookmarked as any other website. That way, you may have an entry in the bookmarks toolbar to invoke it. Also, it will work with any extension that enhances bookmarks functionality. Additionally, it is possible to invoke Speed dial with a group other than the first one by using the "group" parameter (for instance, "chrome://speeddial/content/speeddial.xul?group=2").
- Invoke the Speed Dial group through a dial: You may access a dial group from a dial by assigning the address described in the previous point to a dial. For instance, assigning "chrome://speeddial/content/speeddial.xul?group=2" to a dial will open that group when that dial is accessed.
- Using images: when an URL address that points to an image is used, the thumbnail will be a direct representation of that image. In those cases, it is usually more convenient to change the scaling type ("Edit Dial", "Layout" tab) to "Fit both" or "No scaling".
- Thumbnail cropping: while editing a dial, in the "Crop" tab, it is possible to define an area to capture, which is useful to use it as a logo or to obtain only the interesting content. Use the crop selector to select such area in a visual and easy way.
- Speed vs Quality: several options are available in order to be able to trade speed for quality and viceversa. For the best quality, use the "old thumbnail rendering" option (only for Firefox 2), "Java scaling" (only for Firefox 2), and use the "PNG" image format. For the best speed, deactivate the mentioned options and use the "JPG" image format. Firefox 3 is able to render the images with high quality and speed.